Designed for Children 3-14 with Multiple Disabilities and Communication Impairment.
At Rock Brook we:
- Celebrate and honor each child’s ability
- Create a safe and nurturing environment
- Customize programs to maximize each child’s potential
- Use proven techniques that foster success
Unique, Multi-Faceted Approach to Learning
We appreciate just how important communication skills are for succeeding in today’s world. That’s why all classes are taught using a team approach. Each class is staffed with a full-time special education teacher, a certified speech pathologist and a teaching assistant. A full academic program is provided, along with individual speech/language therapy. Speech and language remediation is incorporated into all phases of the curriculum. Our full academic individualized programs follow NJ Core Content Standards. All specialists work together to reinforce what is being taught.
Our Genuine Caring
We honor each child’s differences and work to maximize their potential so they may lead happy and fulfilling lives. We strive to create a safe, warm and nurturing environment where children can excel, make friends and optimize their potential.
The Least Restrictive Environment
While many public schools have appropriate classes for special needs students, the overall environment can be overwhelming in size, scope, noise level and even the distance a child has to walk to get to the cafeteria. At Rock Brook, our school is small, cozy, colorful and designed to make self mastery possible.
Parents are Always Welcome
Our goal is to create a school setting where parents can feel confident that their child’s needs are being met. We have regular ongoing communications with our parents. We also sponsor discussion groups and a range of family activities.
Reading & Math
Reading and math skills are taught both individually and in small groups, depending on the child’s level of functioning. A variety of research-based, established programs and materials are used. This proven approach is individualized to maximize the student’s strengths while remediating the less successful areas that need additional attention.
Rock Brook offers an ever changing array of special programs to keep students motivated and interested. These include:
- Social skills training groups led by speech/language pathologists
- Occupational therapy-sensory integration, fine/gross motor and activities of daily living
- Counseling & play therapy groups
- Experiences in the community
- Individual and/or small group technology instruction
- Weekly art, music and physical education classes
- Speech/occupational therapy collaboration
- Individualized behavior management plans
- Community outreach programs
- Pet therapy